5 Reasons Why I Love Yoga For Learners
We live in a fast paced, action packed world. There are so many stressors every which way we turn. Like adults, kids are exposed to stress every single day. There’s things like being rushed from place to place, teasing from siblings, arguments in the home, not so happy world news on the TV, moving house and uncomfortable experiences at school/preschool/childcare just to name a few. These things can really test a learner’s resilience.
‘So…’ I hear you say, ‘Does that mean we should bundle them up and remove every possible stressor from their lives?’
Ummmm, no. Obviously there are things that we as adults can do to help remove some of the stress (eg. reducing screen time) but for things that are out of our control (eg. the death of a pet) it’s important that learners have the tools to help them move through stressful experiences as best they can and use these experiences to grow.
One of the tools that can be started from a young age is yoga. I loved doing yoga with the learners in my class, and judging by the amount of times I was asked if they could do it again, I am pretty confident they loved it to.
Here are 5 reasons, in no particular order, why I love yoga for learners…
- It helps to maintain flexibility and improves balance, coordination and posture. All of these are important for happy bodies that are healthy and that can move around safely.
- Learners develop breathing and relaxation techniques that can be used when they are feeling anxious and also when they are trying to get some all important shut eye.
- It can help to improve sleep (see above).
- It can increase attention span and the ability to focus. Yoga requires learners to concentrate with both their mind and their body. The ability to concentrate is important for those who are learning to write, count, spell, read…
- It can improve a learner’s mood. Physical activity releases endorphins that help to create feelings of calm and happiness. Who doesn’t want more of that?!
The above is just a small snap shot of why I believe yoga is beneficial for learners. There are many, many more reasons but I think the most important reason of all is number 5. It makes learners happy and happiness is what every learner needs in bucket loads!
There are so many ways you can get your learner involved in yoga. You can simply google yoga in your area to find classes. Other ways include through picture books, cards, and videos on YouTube or in apps (just be mindful of screen time). Below are two resources you might want to check out in the Learning Seeds store.
Yoga Animals In The Forest Picture Book
Stretch It Story Teller Set
Is your learner already into yoga or is this something you would love to get them involved in? Let me know in the comments below or over on Insta or Facebook. I’d love to hear from you.